[Zope] Info on Zope and Databases

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:17:35 -0500

Ian:

> I having a bit of a look at zope and database connectivity. One thing
> that I'm not sure about is if I have two platforms. An Oracle
> database, and a web server. Does the ZOracle module need access to
> oracle libs ie does oracle have to be installed on the web platform.

Yes, all of the Database Adapters (DAs) _wrap_ underlying database
libraries.  In the case of the ZOracleDA it wraps the Oracle client
libraries.  These libraries must be installed separately on the machine.
The test to see if a machine is ready for Zope DA software is to test
whether you can run the database vendor's command line tool (in Oracle's
case this is sqlplus, for Sybase isql) and successfully connect to the
database server.

> Another thing is there any interest in a ZODBC module for
> Unix ( I don't think that there is one ). Just a wish of mine.

I think there is some work going on in this area somewhere in the Zope
community....  can't recall exactly where tho.

HTH,
Rob Page