[Zope] MySQL and Zope

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:59:13 -0500

On 11/2/99 6:08 PM, gtk at gtk@well.com wrote:

> If MySQL gets transactional support, will we be able to co-ordinate its
> transactions with those of Zope?
>
> Picture a method in a Zope class which updates a MySQL row and touches some
> Zope objects. Zope will roll back the entire lot if one of the operations on
> those objects fails, but as I understand it Zope doesn't provide any hooks
> [yet] to tell MySQL to roll back the transaction performed on it.

Uh, with all "real" databases, we syncronize all transaction boundaries and
this is done totally automatically underneath.  You don't have to worry
about this when writing applications.

The reason Zope doesn't provide any "hooks" as you say is that MySQL has no
transactions, period, end of story.  tpc_begin, tpc_commit, tpc_abort are
all null ops because of that.  It's just something that has to be fleshed
out in the DA for the database.... Zope has been doing this for YEARS.

Chris