[Zope] WAP/WML for Cell Phone Wireless Web?

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:47:05 -0800

[Duncan Booth, on Mon, 01 Nov 1999]:
:: > Has anyone looked at using Zope to serve WML (wireless markup
:: > language) pages that can be read by cell-phones.  I'm here in
:: > Washington DC, and it seems as if Sprint PCS will have this
:: > service soon.  It sounds pretty good.
::
:: See http://www.rcp.co.uk/distributed/wapdemo for a demonstration
:: WAP application written using Zope (HTML pages with screenshots,
:: and also a link to the actual demo for those with WAP browsers).
:: You need a Nokia toolkit to run the demo, there are issues using a
:: real 7110, or a non-Nokia browser.

I'm happy to see some discussion arising about this. I'm currently
faced with the prospect of migrating some automated HTML-based services
to narrowband.

Put me in the camp of people who think WAP is a naked power grab by
phone.com and a braindead kludge.

I'd be very interested in the reactions of anyone who has an
interest in this market to the following assessment (N.B. -- it is
very long, very complete, and, like anything Rohit turns his estimable
intelligence to, pretty damned brilliant):

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/IEEE-L7-WAP.html