[Zope] Object Conversion (& GNOME, GUI, WebDAV support)

Eron Lloyd woodsage@op.net
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 13:19:09 -0500

Is there a way to convert, say, a DTML Method into a DTML Document? By
this, I mean only changing it's object-type property? Could I add a
property to objects to allow their conversion, so the system would only
look for those having this "switchable" property? Also, when I download
a file using FTP or WebDAV, make changes, and then upload it back into
Zope, where in the object is this property-type determined? A downloaded
DTML Method looks like a simple text object when viewed through a
text-editor...what if when I uploaded it I wanted it to be a Document?
Does Zope insert an ID that remains in the Database?

These questions are posed with thoughts of possibly coming up with a
small GUI tool, that could be used as a sort of PyGNOME (or equivalent)
content management that consisted of a Frontend to the Main.py Zope
interface, where objects could be created and manipulated. XEmacs and
FTP are ok for me, but for the content managers and users, a nice GUI
tool would make Zope become adoptable easier. Also there is an idea to
provide GNOME with WebDAV folders, since there really isn't much support
for WebDAV under Linux thus far.

Just some questions and thoughts,
Eron