[Zope] Python on Sun cf Linux/Intel

Dr. Ross Lazarus rossl@med.usyd.edu.au
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:44:02 +1100

Benchmarks are always problematic. It seems pretty clear that pystone is
single threaded and doesn't do "justice" to dual cpu's. It's also clear
that any serious benchmarks should run multiple threads to compare
machines under load when running zope tasks.

But, I still have trouble understanding why a single zope task takes
twice as long on the lightly loaded midrange Sun as a low end LIntel box
!

It's a typical development task - make 70 complex pages from zclasses
with thousands of elements. I don't want it to run multithread ! Coming
from a PC background, I always thought that we bought "big iron" minis
because they gave better throughput for everything - sure, it's not that
simple and the big iron will no doubt do much better under heavier
load....

FWIW, I'm moving all my development to the $2k LIntel box until I get
faster (raw, single threaded !) response elsewhere....