[Zope] Bug in pcgi publishing in 2.1.beta1 ?

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:38:38 -0500

> I've tried to install Zope 2.1.b1 this afternoon but came
> across a problem:
>
> Using ZServer on port 8080 works fine, but I'd like to publish my site
> on a virtual host through Apache. I you the usual trick
> (RewriteRule...)
> that used to wolr with previous versions. It works fine for the first
> screen (http://localhost/) and the local documentation, but as soon as
> I try to manage the site (http://localhost/manage), the whole system
> goes into an endless loop, as witnessed by the apache log:
>
> 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Nov/1999:00:31:39 +0100] "GET /Zope/manage
> HTTP/1.0" 401 1487

> Any Idea ?
>
> 	S.

We have seen this behavior before in Netscape on multiple
platforms - I'm pretty sure that this is a client bug where
NS seems to have problems figuring out authentication on
different ports with the same server. As I recall, you should
be able to reproduce this by trying to access two password-
protected resources on different ports on the same server
using only Apache (taking Zope totally out of the picture).

I don't know if this is considered a "known bug" by the NS
folks or not - they may have some kind of bug reporting system
online that you could check.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909