[Zope] ZCatalog'ing a Web Site

Jeff Rush Jeff Rush" <jrush@timecastle.net
Mon, 08 Nov 99 11:25:25 -0500

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 11:11:03 -0500, Michel Pelletier wrote:

>Jeff Rush wrote:
>>
>> So how is the zope.org site managed?  Do you run a cron
>> job nightly to reindex the entire site?  That'd be quite a load
>> especially on any site with gbytes of objects.  Hmm...
>
>The objects index/re-index/un-index themselves if they are created,
>edited, or destroyed.  Thus, ZCatalog is used programatically.

Those that are ZCatalogAware, sure, but what about the basic
Zope objects that aren't.  ExternalMethods, DTML*, and such
don't inherit from ZCatalogAware so how are they kept up-to-date
in the index?  Have they acquired special methods you've written
that make them self-indexing?

Also is there a time-saver option I can pass to the reindex operation
that says *don't* reindex those objects that *are* ZCatalogAware?

On casual inspection, I never see basic objects in the zope.org
SiteIndex, as if you filter out little things like Images, ExternalMethods
and such?  Is this true?

And lastly, does DC have any debugging tools for ZCatalog?  I've
got a case where when I use the management_tab to reindex,
objects are later found in the catalog, but when I do the same
thing with a block of DTML code, the objects are _not_ found,
however, they _are_ shown and counted when I use the two
management tabs on the catalog.  I'd like to dump the indices
and see how the two situations differ.  I clear the catalog btw
each scenario.

-Jeff Rush