[Zope] ZCatalog same as Index Server?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:08:30 +0100

At 13:48 09/11/99 , Rodrigo Ernesto De Leon Plicet wrote:
>Hello there.  I have a question.  Is ZCatalog a heavy duty indexing/searching
>component, a la M$ Index Server/ASP/IIS combo?
>
>Right now I have a test machine running Zope 2.1.0b1 (Win95, p233, 128MB, 8GB)
>and it is horrendously slow when indexing a few DTML Documents, about 45
>seconds for 100 docs.  Maybe this isn't ZCatalog's turf?
>
>Any info, TIA,

Mass indexing is not ZCatalogs strength, no. M$ Index Server will also take
a while to index a lot of documents though.

Usually, you set up new classes for your information that index themselves
in a Catalog object. This way you only index, reindex and unindex when
individual objects are created, changed or deleted. No scheduled indexing
sweeps are then needed.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer