[Zope] Zope vs. ColdFusion for e-commerce development

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:32:48 -0800

You might want to take a look at:

http://webdevelopersjournal.com/software/coldfusion_problems.html

[Ben Galbraith, on Tue, 09 Nov 1999]:
::
:: Zope Folks,
::
:: I'm with a new e-commerce startup and we're currently evaluating the development tools we'll be using to create our website.  The platform will either be Sun hardware running Solaris 7/Apache, or Intel/Linux boxes.
::
:: We initially evaluated four solutions: mod_perl, PHP (using Apache module support), ColdFusion, and Zope.  We've eliminated mod_perl because of maintenance nightmares, PHP because, well, we just did, and now we're down to ColdFusion and Zope.  Initially I favored Zope, but there are a few concerns I have about it.
::
:: First off, the size of the ColdFusion development pool and it's development history suggest greater stability and a more mature feature set.  Second, it seems that ColdFusion offers all the functionality that Zope does and then some.  Third, ColdFusion seems to offer similiar performance.  Fourth, the database connectivity seems to be equal to Zope's.  Fifth, their tag-based programming language seems to offer equivalent functionality to Zope's.  Sixth, I can find more ColdFusion developers than I can shake a stick at, but I have to explain to everyone I meet what Zope is.
::
:: So, as my lack of information leads me to believe, there are only two drawbacks to ColdFusion as compared to Zope: (1) I have to pay $3.5k for each license, and (2) Zope has a superior model for delegating ownership to different people for the website.
::
:: Could you correct any misconceptions I have and explain to me why I should choose Zope over ColdFusion?  I want to select the tool by Wed. or Thurs., so a quick reply would be appreciated.
::
:: Thanks!
::
:: Ben