[Zope] Summary of DB Discussion

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 03:57:27 +0200

Karl Fast wrote:

> I thought it might be worthwhile to sum up the various points about
> databases and zope and linux that were made today. Please correct any
> mistakes and provide any comments you have.

>  - Despite it's lack of transaction support, it was agreed that MySQL
>      (a) is popular
>      (b) is very fast and a good choice for sites that do high volume
>          queries, but relatively simple and low-volume updates
>      (c) will be getting transaction support "real soon now" according
>          to the web site
>      (d) should have a good, up to date, Zope DA
>
>  - PostgreSQL, the other open source DB, does support transactions. There is
>    a Zope DA. Some people suggested that PostgreSQL is a bit buggy. Other
>    said that it works great. Everyone agreed that it's a bit on the slow
>    side, especially when compared to MySQL.

It is my understanding that even Oracle is "a bit on the slow side" when
compared to MySQL, as are all other "real" DBMS's (ie transaction support,
triggers, rules, user-defined functions, cost-based optimisation,
extensible type system, etc...)

OTOH, the slowness quickly diminishes when queries become more complex,
even to the point where MySQL is slower

And yes, PostgreSQL is a bit buggy _and_ it works great ;-p , i.e. there are
some known bugs, (at least known to me) but it does really work great.

Hannu