[Zope] REMINDER: Keep technical discussions on zope-dev!

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:05:30 -0500

I'm resending the message below as a gentle nudge for folks.  There are
some more email threads such as:

  o Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock'

  o Using regexes in DTML expressions

  o Property Sheet Questions

  o How can you tell if what kind of object it is?

...that are better discussed on zope-dev@zope.org.  I'm not trying to be
_too_ much of a nag, but I'm getting a LOT of feedback from people again
saying the traffic is overwhelming and the list needs to be split.

for technical questions.

A quick glance through the last 50 or so zope@zope.org messages shows
that over half of them are more appropriate for "developers" than
"content managers" or a general audience.

zope-dev was created namely because the community wanted to better
manage the volume (read: deluge) of Zope mail.  After a long discussion
which generated many emails :^), the community agreed to having a list
for general and introductory questions and a list focused on developers.

Some example email discussion threads that could be moved over:

  o ZClass constructor / namespace question

  o Comma delimited file and the re python object

  o complex question (kind of an obvious one :^)

  o Random ID's using ZopeDate() problems...

  o xmlrpc calls require string results?

Ken wrote a script that shows the subscription/unsubscription rate on
the mailing lists.  Around the time of the split we saw the ratio
improve, meaning fewer people were getting frustrated.  The ratio has
gotten worse again.

Let's work to make sure the traffic gets managed as best as possible.
Thanks!

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909