[Zope] REMINDER: Keep technical discussions on zope-dev!

Jonothan Farr jfarr@real.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:26:58 -0800

I have to agree with Don, here. The criteria that 'technical' discussions
should go to zope-dev is a bit to vague to be meaningful. Even the distinction
between Zope 'users' and 'developers' is a difficult one, as every Zope user
is a 'developer' in some sense, even if they're writing only the most trivial
DTML method.

Also, very often a question about general usability evolves into a discussion
about the internal workings of Zope. In these cases, someone must make the
effort to move the thread over to the zope-dev list, at the risk of losing
some of the audience that may be able to help them solve their problem.

Examples:

> >   o Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock'

This started as a general usability / configuration issue, as the site
administrator was seeing this exception during the normal use of their Zope
server.

> >   o Using regexes in DTML expressions

This started as a basic DTML 'how-to' question.

> >   o Property Sheet Questions

A little more 'technical', as ZClasses were involved, but mainly just basic
DTML questions. Do all questions involving ZClasses belong on zope-dev?

> >   o How can you tell if what kind of object it is?

Again, a basic DTML 'how-to' question.

Paul,

What do you think about Don's suggestion to break out the zope list into
several clearly defined sub-topics (DTML, ZClasses, databases) instead of
trying to distinguish between 'technical' vs. 'non-technical' questions?
Unfortunately, I can see this being as difficult to judge. ("Is this a DTML
question or a ZSQL question?") I'm mainly just interested in generating some
discussion about possible solutions.

-jfarr

Hi! I'm a signature virus.
Copy me into your .sig to join the fun!