[Zope] ZSERVER, THREADS, PERFORMANCE & FUTURE PERFORMANCE

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:36:34 +0200

Paul Everitt wrote:

> > Q: Is there hidden ZEN out there on Performance Tuning Zope for a Heavy
> > Production Environment(besides ZEO)? (HPE = up to 150 Requests/sec)
> >
> >         How does one scale Zope to Java Sevlet performance levels (compiled
> > in-memory performance)?
> >                 Sevlets = 200+ Requests per second (once invoked and
> > in-memory)
>
> I have a hard time believing that servlets can retrieve data from
> storage and render a complicated page 200 times per second.

I have just tested an out-of box apache 1.3.9 with a page of ~18kb
and an out-of-box zope 2.0.1 server with 1.2 kb zope opening page
on an IBM NetFinity 5500 M20, dual Pentium III/500MHz with the
following results:

Changing the number of threads did not change a thing and top showed only
3-4 threads actually getting work. The cpu usage was ~= 1.0.

Are the numbers terribly wrong ?

[hannu@www hannu]$ zeus_bench localhost /estno/ -t 30 -p 80 -c 10

---
Server:                 Apache/1.3.9
Doucment Length:        18327
Concurency Level:       10
Time taken for tests:   30.011 seconds
Complete requests:      12390
Failed requests:        0
Bytes transfered:       230559372
HTML transfered:        227126511
Requests per seconds:   412.85
Transfer rate:          7682.50 kb/s

Connnection Times (ms)
           min   avg   max
Connect:     0     3  3034
Total:       4    22  3055
---

[hannu@www hannu]$ zeus_bench localhost / -t 30 -p 8080 -c 10

---
Server:                 Zope/(unreleased
Doucment Length:        1210
Concurency Level:       10
Time taken for tests:   30.025 seconds
Complete requests:      1047