[Zope] ZSERVER, THREADS, PERFORMANCE & FUTURE PERFORMANCE

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:48:54 -0500

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Sam Gendler wrote:
> >

> I just tested a small python cgi scriptat concurrency level 10:
>
> a cgi script that printed the Content-type and "Hi There!" got ~30 TPS at

I suspected the CGI numbers would come down to earth.

Here's the thing about Apache serving from the filesystem, that's it's
native environment.  Apache has been tweaked, to the max, to server
files off the filesystem as fast as it can.  I can remember way back in
the early Apache days talking about how many sys calls per request were
being made, and how this release they knocked it down by 3 sys calls!
This is supreme optimization embodied in high speed C code.

I would really like to see some benchmarks against a Java servelet (the
idea of which started this thread), but only if that java servelet:

1) served an object out of an database (an *OBJECT* not a result row, I
define an object as an instanciation of a class, regardless of the
backing store that contained the object)

2) verified the request through a security system

3) dynamically generated a template that retrieved values from the
object

Of course, Zope does alot more than this.  I certainly don't expect any
Java based system to have as many cool features as Zope does, but
benchmarks are unfair when you're talking about apples and Mack trucks.

-Michel