[Zope] Zope missing logic

Anders Gaarsdal Holst anders@colorweb.dk
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:48:13 +0100

I have been playing around with Zope for the last month, and I must say,
that I am amazed how easy most thing is in Zope. But I have discovered one
great weakness in Zope: it's DTML language.

DTML seems like a strange mixture of an easy to learn template language
and an advanced programming language. I know nothing about Python, but
it seems that I have to learn this in order to make even simple logic
processing.

In my opinion a descision has to be made whether to make dtml both a
template and programming language or a pure template language (and leave
the programming to Python methods). If the first is decided then an
attempt must be done to cleanup dtml's syntax, it is nowhere near
logical, and develop some new dtml tags like loops etc..

If the latter is decided then dtml still needs a clean up.

I would prefer the first option, so that I (and all other newbies) don't
need to spend a lot of time learning Python.

Regards,
               A n d e r s  G a a r s d a l  H o l s t