[Zope] zope scalability

Ben White ben@platform.net
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:04:56 -0500

Hi,

I am new to Zope -- really excited about it -- but have a few basic
questions (which I'm sure have been asked before).

1. How well does Zope scale?
Is anybody out there using this for high traffic sites? We have been
using a custom blend of PHP and Mysql for a busy site and it works
pretty well (although MySQL seems to choke when we get really
slammed). How well does Zope scale?

2. How fast is Zope?
And how does it compare to the PHP/MySQL combo? Are their any
benchmarks available?  It seems pretty quick but I'm not sure what
type of transactions are going on below the surface of the pages I'm
looking at.

3. How well does Zope work with MySQL?
We have built some pretty serious backend with PHP and MySQL and I'd
love to be able to keep our database structure etc.

4. Migrating
What is the best way to migrate from a traditional web structure to
Zope? For instance do you have to rebuild and register all of your
objects with Zope through the web interface? Or can you upload files
and have them be recognized by Zope?

5. Editors
Are there any offline editors for MAC that you can get to work with Zope/DTML?

Thanks for the help

Ben