[Zope] Implementation questions for a new project

VanL van_lindberg@byu.edu
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:26:08 -0700

I have been playing around with Zope for a couple weeks now, and I
figure that it is time to actually sit down and do some work.  I have a
few questions, but I am generally familiar with dtml (and I'm starting
to learn python, too).

So:
For background: The project is CLASSic -- Classroom Integrated Computing

**Note: This is NOT a general announcement of availability.   While
anyone is free to email me (van_lindberg@mail.com)  if they would like
to help,  I intend to have some sort of working project to release.
This is provided for background, more than anything else.

    I am building a set of tools for teachers that they can use to
adminster their classes.  I currently work as tech support in a
university, and I see a lot of professors that would like to use the web
to enhance their classes, but they are intimidated by the technical
language.  After having worked with a lot of different teachers with
different skill sets, I think I understand their needs and  the mental
framework in which they operate.  Once I have a useable product, I want
to release it as free software.
    Initially, this product will only provide basic functionality:
email, online gradebook, syllabus/schedule/calendar integration,
discussion forums (think squishdot) etc.  see http://www.blackboard.com/
for an example of the type.
    Later, I hope to integrate some more advanced functions, such as
school administration, lesson planners, etc.  While it is slightly
different than what I am thinking, take a look at
http://depts.washington.edu/catalyst/home.html for the basic idea,
especially the method guides.

Now, the questions:  If I just haven't read the appropriate item, just a
pointer would do.

The root of these questions lies in my understanding of OO programming.
For instance, I want a object ClassItem that has associated values that
I can call.  I'll try to explain with Java, since that is what I know
best.
If I had:

class ClassItem{
    String dueDate;
    String description;
    int ID;

    ClassItem(String date, String about, int objectNumber){
        dueDate = date;
        ID = objectNumber; }
}

Then if I declared a new ClassItem Homework1("Dec 11","1), I could from
the calendar say something like
System.out.println(" Homework #" + ID + " is due " +
Homework1.dueDate());
but from the syllabus I could say
System.out.println(" The first homework involves " +
Homework1.description());

A class would be built from a collection of ClassItems.

Now the questions>  First, how can I create that same sort of
construct?  Second, How do I fill it up with user-defined values?  For
example, in php, if I have it parse a form with the following html:

<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="name" VALUE="Joe Schmoe">

it gives me a variable $name that has the value "Joe Schmoe" that I
could then call elsewhere.  Can I do this with dtml?  Or would it be
better to go with pure python?

Thnx, VanL