[Zope] Beginners

Nemeth Miklos nemeth@iqsoft.hu
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:25:31 +0100

cesare@planningsrl.it wrote:

> -Which database server is better to use? (Interbase, Oracle, MS SQL)

Oracle (especially 7.3.4) is the best DBMS if concurrency and stability is
of a primary concern.
If you prefer speed MySQL is rumored to be much faster than any other
RDBMS, but MySQL does NOT support transactions (commit/rollback).

> -Which SO is better to use? (Linux, NT)

I migrated from the NT world to UNIX/Linux world a year ago. Linux is much
more stable than NT. Linux is much more easier to manage.
Linux is much faster than NT. I will never return to NT world! Now I do not
understand how I was able to live without Linux!?
However if you need maximum data durability a commercial UNIX is
recommended because currently Linux does not support a journalling file
system (RedHat promises to include one in RH6.2 by the end of this
century).

> -Which HTTP server is better to use? (Apache, ZServer, IIS)

If you wish strong security (that is SSL) the only choice is Apache.
ZServer does not support SSL, IIS as a US product supports only weak
security outside US. Zope's next release will support FastCGI, wich makes
Apache/SSL + Zope as a seroius platform for web applications.

Miklos Nemeth
IQSOFT