[Zope] Tricky Apache configuration: mixing static and Zope virtual hosts

Itai Tavor itavor@bigpond.net.au
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:21:54 +1100

Hi,

I'm sure nobody wants to see another question about RewriteRules, but
I don't think this specific situation was covered before.

I'm using a Linux server to develop and demo web sites to clients.
Some of these sites are static, others are Zope sites. I want to
serve the Zope sites using Apache (mostly to avoid requiring users to
type :8080, and also to enable SSL pages in Zope). I also want to
make configuring new sites as simple as possible.

The static virtual hosts are created with Apache VirtualHost
directives. For the Zope sites I use the SiteAccess product. The
problem is that I also need to create VirtualHost entries for the
Zope virtual hosts, so Apache knows to send those to Zope. I don't
like this. So what I need is a set of VirtualHosts and RewriteRules
that will do the following:

- Define specific domains as static Apache virtual hosts and serve
them from the file system.

- Any domains not covered by the above should be passed to Zope,
letting SiteAccess deal with them.

- Allow for path-based rules on the main (www.my-host.com) domain, so
I can redirect www.my-host.com/some_path to /home/www/some_path, and
www.my-host.com/Zope to /cgi-bin/Zope.cgi.

Any ideas?
--
Itai Tavor                      -- "Je sautille, donc je suis."    --
itavor@vic.bigpond.net.au       --               - Kermit the Frog --