[Zope] MS Word treats all HTML read-only with WEBDAV (Was RE: [Zope] WebDav & MS Word problem -)

Petri Savolainen petri.savolainen@lut.fi
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:17:11 +0200

Thanks for info Brian & Hannu! I got Beta2 working ok, and found out,
indeed, hurrah, I can store files via WebDav, from MS Word 2000.

However, I found out something else of interest. Another MS "feature". While
DOC files save and reopen ok via WebDav on Zope, HTM files do not.

Ie. the following happens:

1) I create a doc in Word. Save as word document, on a Zope WebFolder. Close
the doc, and open it again. Save again. Works great.

2) The exact same process, but save as web document, ie. html, from Word.
First save after creation of file goes great, but when I try to reopen the
file, it only opens read-only. Ie. further modifying is impossible.

However, there's a workaround, too, although it may be a bit useless. If
you:

1) create a regular Zope "file"
2) upload the HTML (well, XML) file saved from MS Word as content into that
Zope "file"
3) change the Content Type of the file to application/msword

Then MS Word will treat the doc as a word document, even WHEN THE CONTENTS
ARE STILL XML. So it looks it's not the filename (extension) or the contents
of the file, but the Content-Type setting of the file that matters to MS
Word?

 Petri