[Zope] Squishdot, Confera, ZDConfera and ZDiscussions....

Harry mail-zope@fizbin.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:29:03 -0800

I'm currently in the rather thankless process of trying to convert Squishdot
to use the ZDConfera product, instead of the old Confera product that it is
based on. It was recommended that I heavily use ZClasses to that end.

First of all, in order to avoid duplication of efforts, is anyone else doing
something of a similar nature?

If anyone has dabbled in this, and has anything cool, or helpful to
contribute, I'd be very appreciative, mostly because I know next to zero
about Zope or python when I started this, and am effectively just trying to
figure out the logic by comparing printouts of Squishdot.py, Confera.py and
ZDConfera.py.

ZDConfera is supposed to be a drop-in replacemnet for Confera, but since
Squishdot was built ON TOP OF Confera, that isn't as easy as it could have
been if the Squishdot code had just made calls to the Confera product.

So, I will be doing this in multiple layers of work (because that's how I
work).

First, I'll be trying to replace all Confera parts in the Squishdot.py code,
by calls to the Confera product. Then, on my second pass, I plan on
(hopefully) being able to replace calls to Confera with calls to ZDConfera.

I haven't figured out how ZDiscussions fits into all of this, but I honestly
won't concern myself with that right now.

A couple of other modifications I look at doing as well:

Making the 'right-box' when reading an article into a separate object (it
needs that), and creating separate left-box-methods objects.

If ANYONE has any suggestion on how to make this easier, things to look out
for, and/or tips and techniques, I'm very receptive to any of those.

Harry