[Zope] Naming files with a dot

Ethan Fremen mindlace@majordomo.net
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 18:44:16 +0100

James Punteney wrote:

>  >No one should ever have to type the name of an "HTML file", IMAO -- not
>
> I probably should of used a different example than index.html and
> index_html, as many of you have pointed out those would never need to be
> typed in the url.  What about other documents in the same folder that would
> be referenced with the page name?  With Zope would you just create a new
> folder for each page?

the problem with this as I understand is that zope/python use the . to
reference the object hirearchy, like bob.surfs.net.here would referr to
bob/surfs/net/here.  you can indeed name objects with a period but if
you use them in a python context you may have problems.

otoh, for other documents, i find simply not having an extention works
alright.
perhaps better than the alphabet soup of .php3 .phtml .asp etc.

--
~mindlace