[Zope] Conceptual problem with Zope 2.0.1 threads

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 16:54:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Tony McDonald wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope someone can enlighten me here.
> I run a Zope system with 6 threads at the moment. Does this mean that
> if I get 7 requests to the site, the 7th one has to wait until one of
> the 6 are through servicing the request?

I helped built a heavily modified squishdot site that uses 4 threads to
serve about 50000 requests a day. the server technology of ZServer
(medusa) is different from apache (or at least it used to be). Medusa uses
an asynchronous approach, and one thread can service thousands of requests
per second. It is actually one (if not the most) efficient server
approaches *as long* as each individual request does not consume too much
processing power, otherwise all the rest of the requests will hang. For
more info on the technology read the various documents from the medusa
site at www.nightmare.com.

Pavlos