[Zope] Using ZODB outside of Zope

Avus avvus@netscape.net
12 Oct 99 15:16:27 MET DST

Terrel Shumway <tshumway@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> Avus wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > he ZODB would be a possible choice for a desktop database.
> > Could anyone point me to code examples (if there are any) to use ZODB and
> > Catalog outside of Zope?
> >
> > Is there any effort underway to make C/C++ bindings (i.e. to allow C++
classes
> > to be stored persistently in a transparent manner)?
> >

> Try these:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/ZODB-How-To
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Developer/Models/ZODB
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/ZCatalogTutorial

The UML models are useful, thanks.

The ZCatalog Tutorial seems to be more marketing oriented, with some DTML
thrown in.
I'd like to know if someone has example code in python, how to use ZODB and
Catalog in applications not directly working within the Zope framework, e.g.
storing and cataloging XML documents.

> ZODB existed for a long time as Bobo before Zope was born.
>
> I imagine that you could use ZODB for C++ if you could come up with a
Pickle
> (serialization) protocol,  but that might be more work than it is worth.
Depending
> on your application, and your legacy code; however, you might consider using
Python
> instead of C++. See:

I'm not talking about legacy code, rather a db backend for real desktop
applications.
Transparent persistent storage of C++ objects would be nice, but examples how
to store/catalog structured formats like XML would be a good start.

Avus