[Zope] Versions

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:04:21 +0200

At 07:43 14/10/99 , Jeff Rush wrote:

> >> Nope.  Versions work with cookies, which FTP obviously has no
> >> semantics
> >> for.  Versions are cool and magical, but not quite as magical as they
> >> first seem.
>
>Actually, Zope's FTP -could- have cookie semantics... the FTP module
>within Medusa does maintain a session state, as it maps the FTP cmds
>to HTTP operations behind the scenes.  The FTP session could strip
>off and cache the cookie info on behalf of the user.  There would need
>to be added a new command or two for creating/closing a version, but
>that's what the FTP 'site' command is for.  Such a 'site' command would
>just invoke the appropriate manage_xxx calls.

The problem is not maintaining the cookie, the problem is getting the
cookie in the first place.

ZServer FTP supports cookies, but in order to get the Version cookie, you
need to press a button on a certain page. You can't do this with FTP.
Someone already gave a solution: set the cookie when a certain FTP action
is taken, like trying to open a file within the Version (navigate to the
version, and select the 'join' file for download, or something).

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer