[Zope] Problems installing Zope

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:53:26 +0200

At 15:13 14/10/99 , Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>following doc/INSTALL.txt (the quick start) the first command
>finishes with "Done." which seems to hint at success.
>However, the INSTALL description says that I will be given
>a user name and password. This is not the case, nor can I find
>any point where the procedure is unhappy.
>
>Bravely executing the second command  ( ./start ) results in a
>somehow running zope which of course I can not log in.
>Furthermore, ./start does not return.
>
>Environment: Mandrake 6.1, Roxen

The fact that the start command doesn't return, is because that file by
default uses the -D switch of Zope, which stands for Debug. One side effect
is that it stays attached to the terminal. Edit start and remove the -D and
it will be more daemonic.

What command did you run? I find it strange no password was communicated.
Maybe you should scroll back a bit. The password is stored in a file called
'access', in the Zope root. You can generate a new access file with the
following command, issued in the Zope root dir:

   /path/to/python zpasswd.py access

It will prompt you for a username, password, encryption method and optional
domain specification (which is a space separated list of ip address and ip
numbers with ot without wildcards).

If you use zpasswd.py without any arguments, you'll get a help message:

   /path/to/python zpasswd.py

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer