[Zope] Editing downloaded + installed product?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:48:49 -0400

Why?  Zope has the read in the entire object index, initialize itself,
it's products, and it's external resource connections.  This is alot of
work.

> Is Linux (or any other platform) any better in this respect?
> Is there any
> way to speed up this cycle?

Once again, Why?

> Assume, for instance, that I need to hot-fix some problem in
> WhatEver_Python_Product - in contrast to "just" reloading the product
> shutting down the whole server is a tad bit too much, don't you think?

If you're 'hot-fixing' a production site enough times for this to
matter, than you are putting much, much more at risk to your application
than 18 seconds of non-response.  As a seperate issue, the ability to do
a python reload could be elaborated and implimented, of course you have
to source code so you can provide a patch. ;)

> >Python zproduct development should definitely be done
> >on a non-production server for this reason.
>
> Is there any other way? :-)

Any development of any form whatsoever on any platform in any language
for any application should not be done on a production server unless you
want to get burned.

-Michel