[Zope] Front door on the Zope web site (Was Re: [Zope] SmartWorker)

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:27:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Everitt <paul@digicool.com>
To: Patrick Phalen <zope@teleo.net>
Cc: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 8:29 AM
Subject: [Zope] Front door on the Zope web site (Was Re: [Zope] SmartWorker)

>This is a very, very important thread to me.  I'm looking for two
>things:
>
>  o What questions should the Zope.org home page, and pages
>    one click away, answer?
>
>  o What are some effective ways to answer those questions?

In another message, Oleg broke some things down in a way that triggered
something in my mind. I would say this: take the existing www.zope.org and
make it dev.zope.org (or www.zope.org/dev or something)... a site with a
developer focus, and the normal front door that those of us on these mailing
lists would use.

Look at Vignette's web site. Looking at their front page, there is easy
access to a DHTML tour of StoryServer, a snazzy graphic in the middle
highlight a couple of things that their products do for you (Speed your
development, build e-relationships, extend your brand). There are links to
high-level product info, and customer sites. I think it's a good idea to
feature sites that use Zope, even if the sites are not well known... because
it can give people an idea of things real people are doing with Zope. I
would guess, at this point, that you probably won't have too much trouble
getting some people to write a few paragraphs of how Zope fits in to their
sites (I'd be happy to do so for Byproducts.com).

I think having two front pages would be a great thing. We, as developers,
want something that gives us quick, easy access to all of the Zope info that
keeps us chugging along. But, I'm sure many people coming to www.zope.org
are trying to figure out what it does for them.

If you (DC) start building a marketing site like this, I'm sure the Zope
community would pitch in with ideas for the text if you ask specific
questions. (Just think of the response to the Zope banner a couple weeks
ago).

Kevin