[Zope] document the linux install process, in detail

Geoff Nordli geoff@gnaa.net
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:48:55 -0700

I have been struggling with install on linux for a couple
of days now.  I did the one on NT in 5 seconds.

It would be great describing how to do an installation, Step-
by-step.  Keeping it very high-level.  So a below-average
user could sucessfully install Zope.

Something like this.

Getting Python set up right for a successful Zope installation:

Make sure that you have python 1.5.2 installed.  You can check
this by entering "python".  It will come back and tell you what
the version # is.  To exit from the interpreter press "Ctrl-D".

If you don't have 1.5.2 installed then how do you ugrade?  I am
not sure on this one.  Can you just untar the py152.tgz file and
go to town.

How do you check to make sure that you have the development
libraries installed.  If you don't have them installed how do you
do an upgrade.  If you have them installed, and you have
1.5.2 installed you are ready to roll.

I know that this documentation should be at python, but I didn't
find it, and since Zope relies heavily on python it should be
included.  We want people to get it up and running ASAP.  Don't
give them an excuse not to use it.

Let's install Zope now.  Two different methods--binary install,
and tarball.

Now this is where I would like some direction.  What user account
should I use to do the install.  What user account should I use
to unpack the files.  Should I create some accounts or groups before
processing. Where do I put the files.  With a binary file it stays
in the same location, but with a tarball it moves.

What are the kinds of decisions that you the experienced developer
makes when doing an installation.  It would be great to make a
bullet proof installation process.

My 2 pennies.

Geoff Nordli