[Zope] what user and group to use for zope install

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:59:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Geoff Nordli wrote:

> So if I was using a team model for development I would create a
> group called "zope".  Insert all people who need access to the
> code into the zope group.

I suppose you mean access to the source code of Zope. Otherwise for access
to components *through* Zope you can set roles and permissions within
Zope.

> to allow root to modify files
>
> chgrp nobody /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.0.1-src/var -R

No - since you are logged in as user zope when you start Zope, it will be
running with UID zope. No  need to do the
above unless you are planing to
su root and then start Zope as root.

> Now what about the permissions.  They are different for the user,
> and group.  How does one deal with this, or is this even a concern.

you could assign permissions, roles and access rights within Zope, unless
you have a team working on a python Zope extension, you will not need to
deal with permissions outside Zope.

Pavlos