[Zope] Very newbie question

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:59:03 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Gaved Adriano <Adriano.Gaved@CSELT.IT>
To: 'zope@zope.org' <zope@zope.org>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999 10:25 AM
Subject: [Zope] Very newbie question

>Zope seems very promising (although the learning curve seems steep) but
>wandering through the documentation I couldn't see if it has (or how easy
is
>to implement) the two features we need most:
>- something that checks the broken links AND informs the authors
>periodically

This would probably be a useful thing. If someone has written link checking
code in python, it would probably be pretty easy to convert this to an
External Method to go through the Zope database and check for broken links.

If it hasn't been written already, I'm guessing that someone familiar with
regular expressions could whip something up without too much trouble. (Or
even just using the standard python string find functions). Once you've
yanked the URLs out of the document, you should be able to check them with
the python urllib.

>- something that periodically sends to the authors a message such "Your web
>page/bunch of web pages hasn't been modified since 1/month/year/decade. Do
>you think the content is still worthwhile?"

Using ZCatalog, the indexing/searching portion of Zope, this would be pretty
easy. The search mechanism allows you to specify a max, so you can search
for all documents that were created before 1 month ago. You use the "in" tag
to iterate through the objects, and then use the "sendmail" tag to send the
messages. This is pretty straightforward, once you get used to DTML syntax.

Kevin