[Zope] External Methods ->syntax + file access = how ?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:55:14 +0200

Great. Thanks to all who answered..

1. Poll Product
>There is a PIL friendly poll product at the old zope site
>(<http://www.zope.org:8080/Download/Contrib/poll.tgz>http://www.zope.org:8
080/Download/Contrib/poll.tgz) that explains what you
>have to do to get them both working together.

Very helpful, as it mentions the namespace conflict in the README confirmed by
Rik Hoekstra. Not quite working yet, but I am sure this is the main problem.

It recommends installing PIL in 'site-packages' directory. Is this an older
setup, now replaced by the 'Shared' directory? Or is there a difference
between
Win32 and Linux Zope installations?

2. 'Extensions'
>The Extension folder is meant for external methods, which can do all
>sorts of python things and call any conceivable python package.
>However, for security reasons external methods are not treated as
>modules in the python sense. I even believe it is not legal to place
>your extension python code inside the Extension directory.
[..snip]

OK. so if I understand correctly:

A. Python Modules go in 'Shared' with __init__.py at each sublevel there.
B. Python scripts to be used as 'External Methods' by Zope go in 'Extensions'.

Q1: If these python scripts want to "open" other files in the system (MIDI,
Text, Image, whatever) What do they need to do?
What is legal/illegal from Zope? ie: Where can these files live?

Q2: To create a nice linked list of External Methods. What is the syntax for
'External Methods' similar to  <dtml-in objectValues(['Folder', 'Image'])>
'ExternalMethods' or'External Methods' don't work...

Is there a complete list anywhere of objectValues() and objectItems()
parameters?

Thanks

- Jason

Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>