[Zope] ZODB performance via direct disk writes

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:37:33 -0400

Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> > Would there be any performance gain from having ZODB3 access a raw io device
> > instead of using a filesystem, as can be done in FreeBSD for example?
>
> While it might THEORETICALLY be possible to beat the file system, it's also
> non-portable,

Yes, but on some level, portability doesn't matter, because ZODB 3 has an
*open* and, I hope, well defined storage interface.  If someone is a wiz and
programming raw devices and thinks they can come up with a lightening fast
storage, more power to them.  It doesn't have to be poratble unless *they*
need portability.

My point being that if someone thinks they have a cool idea for storing bits,
go for it. Just follow the interface at
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Models/ZODB.

> a headache, painful and all-together a bad idea.  Even Oracle
> no longer requires this.  There are 10000000 other places to focus
> optimization :-)

Despite my comments above, I agree wholehartedly. This is now a promising
area for optimization.

Jim

repeats.