[Zope] Many Zope questions

John Goerzen jgoerzen@complete.org
03 Sep 1999 13:23:39 -0500

"Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com> writes:

> >I'm just new to Zope, and have some questions both on documentation
> >and on overall architecture.
>
> Welcome!

Thanks!

> You would probably want to make the Quick Links bar a DTML Method. This
> makes it easy to include it wherever you wish.
>
> <dtml-var quicklinks>

Ah ha!  So any object (or at least documents and methods) can act as a
variable?  Neat!

Question:  How does <!--#var quicklinks> (as is found in the
documentation) differ from <dtml-var quicklinks>?  When should each be
used?

While discussing variables, how does typing in Zope work?  I know that
properties have types.  What I want to do is read in a date from a
user with an input form and then compare that to, for instance, a date
in a Gadfly database -- or even just an arbitrary date.  How can I
tell Zope (or Gadfly) that it's dealing with a date?  I didn't seem to
find any casting operators around anywhere.

> If you do really want it in Zope, you could use XML-RPC or ZClient to update
> things via cron.

Where can I find documentation on these?

Thanks for the other answers as well, you've got me off to a good
start!

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |