[Zope] Simple Counter in zope?

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 01:27:28 +0900

>I'd like to implement a simple counter in zope (I'm surprised I couldnt
>find one already actually).. So I imagine something like this is pretty
>simple, but I have no idea where to start..
>
>My first thought was just to create a new variable, and have the DHTML
>write to it, but it doesn't seem like that's possible.
>
>How do I create new values in the zope db,  access them and assign
>things to them?

you may want to search the archive. i have this snipped from a post
last week (apologies to original author - can't find sender/post) -

[snip]
> This should do it:
> <dtml-call "propertysheets.YourPropSheet.manage_changeProperties({'count' :
> count+1})">
>
> Keeping in mind of course that you still have that ages old "this creates a
> transaction each time the method is hit" issue that's
> come up with the previous counter products...
[/snip]

btw, if anyone can enlighten me on this "creates a transaction each time
the method is hit" issue, i'd appreciate it - i couldn't find any thread
on it and related problems.

wait, found something else in the archives -

[snip from Alexander Staubo]

Guest Counter is a very simple product whose class instances can count
the number of "guests" to a web site.

It counts users using any kind of ID you want, although it makes most
sense to use a user's IP address. Since HTTP is a stateless protocol,
visitors cannot be precisely tracked, and so the counter continually
times out registered IDs in order to approximate the current bulk of
visitors. A simple mechanism for piecing together "graphical" counters
using GIFs or whatever you want is also provided.

Installation instructions: Unzip/tar in Zope root folder, then restart
Zope. The new meta type "Guest Counter" should be now available for
adding to folders.

(I made a small blooper that meant that each count incurred a
transaction in the Zope OFS. This has been fixed.)

http://www.mop.no/~alex/download/guestcounter-1.1.tar.gz

[/snip]

can't vouch for any of this but there you have it.

chas