[Zope] Zope Performance and Large Databases

davidbro@namshub.org davidbro@namshub.org
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:23:54 -0700

How much stuff can Zope (or more properly ZODB3) handle in a folder
before things get hairy and/or slow and buggy?

I want to use Zope as the center of my Home Automation intranet.

One of the applications of that HA intranet would be to control the
MP3's playing throughout the house.  Now, it seems that the best place
to store the information about all the MP3's (artist, album, genre,
actual location, etc) would be in a relational database that Zope
hits, but I also wondered if I could use ZClasses and ZCatalog to
manage the information.

But being that I have several gigs of MP3's (don't start about
copyright stuff, these are ripped from my CD collection), we're
talking about a large number of ZClass instances (one per song) stored
in the ODB.

How robust is the ODB in these sorts of situations?  Has there been
any testing of Zope with large (I had a boss that didn't think a
database was interesting until it had at least a gig of information in
it) amounts of data?  I know that current file system limits in Linux
put an artificial cap on DB size, but you can still get really big
before hitting the limitation.

dave
(I want to put my entire life into zope)