[Zope] changing standard colours

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:34:00 -0600

Robin Becker wrote:
> >Squishdot uses a properties tab with a bunch of entries for colors. Generalizing
> >from that, it would seem that adding some string properties to your root folder
> >containing color values would give you global control over page colors, and
> >still let you overide them as neccesary.
> >
> >Michael Bernstein.
> so you suggest just having
> properties
>
> normal_text
> normal_bg
> normal_alink
>
> etc etc. sounds ok

Here is what I do on many of my sites, user discretion is advised, YMMV,
etc.. :-)

I tend to use CSS a lot. I create a /Styles Folder, where I use DTML
Documents as my stylesheet (with names like 'Main_css' 'Doorway_css'
etc.). In these I use dtml variables in place of defining colors, ie:

   {
      color:	<dtml-var MainTextColor>;
   }

Then, I define folder properties at the root folder for the basic color
scheme of the site.
This technique also can take advantage of aquisition. On libc.org, users
can set new colors by adding the appropriate variable. I am also
extending it for fonts, etc. I am working on a HOW-TO that should be on
the zope.org beta within the week.

--
Bill Anderson