[Zope] ZCatalog speed?

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:30:57 -0400

Stuart Woolford wrote:
> a - 22 minutes to create 8800 documents (smallish) in 1200 folders within zope,
> not too fast :( but not exactly a user-interaction-limiting factor :)

Yes, ZCatalog right now is tuned for incremental indexing and
retrieval.  There is a knob where you can trade memory during indexing
for speed of indexing.  This works by decreasing the frequency of
subtransaction commits (which is where the performance hit lies).

> b - too long to then try to do a search based add to a zcatalog,
> ie: netscape times out after only around 8 minutes, and the search has not
> finished!

This is absolutely, obviously something wrong with your ZCatalog
settings.  Make sure that you have indexed the properties that you are
searching on, otherwise it will be a "grep" style search.

I have seen ZCatalog go through a 12 Mb, 23 thousand line RDF version of
the RPM repository.  Search time was less than a tenth of a second.

--Paul