[Zope] Python Methods? (don't work for me...)

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:25:07 -0500

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Evan, what are your ideas on a '_' like namespace where you provide some
> handy dandy modules?  Could very much increase the usability of
> PythonMethods for the short term until you work out importing.

Since my objective is to make PythonMethods exactly as secure as DTML
Methods, I don't want to provide *anything* that they don't.  External
Methods are a good way to give controlled access to additional modules like
this.  I plan to enable 'import' in the same way I enabled 'print', by
which I mean the command will be usable, but will work differently than in
standard Python code.  Most likely, 'import' will be bent into a tool for
accessing other objects in the ZODB hierarchy.

Despite that, on my personal site, I use a teeny little Product which
inserts urllib, base64, and some builtins like 'list' and 'map' into the
standard namespace object.  I'm the only authorized user, so it seems safe
:-)