[Zope] Something odd about ZCatalog...

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:12:16 -0700

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> > Could it be that ZCatalog considers words of less than 4 letters..."non words"?
>
> Not necesarrily, but it does consider one letter words as stopwords.
> This kinda kicks ya when try and search for anyone with 'C' programming
> experience.
>
> The solution to all of these problems is for us to impliment some kind
> of vocabulary object which allows you to beter control the vocabulary
> that the catalog uses.

Hmm, interesting. A controlled vocabulary (complete with synonyms and stemming) would
be a very interesting product. few (if any) automated products exist for this in the
web application space. I've been interested in controlled vocabularies for a while
now, ever since I read 'Information Architecture for the World Wide Web' by  Louis
Rosenfeld and Peter Morville. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922824/)

However I was disappointed at the time that all such vocabularies had to be created
and maintained by hand, even if you were using an existing one (say from an online
glossary), I've never had a client that would spring for creating a vocabulary
maintenance tool. ('why do we need that?').

With a controlled vocabulary for cataloging and retreiving objects, and Topics to
arange objects into arbitrary heirarchies, Zope could credibly claim to have one of
the most advanced Web Content Management Sytems on the market.

Michael Bernstein.