[Zope] ZCatalog speed?

Stuart Woolford stuartw@newmail.net
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:22:46 +1200

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> Stuart Woolford wrote:
> >
> > >  If
> > > it's finding your taking about, try increasing the sub transaction
> > > threshold (on the status screen) by an order of magnitude or two.  This
> > > will cause Zope to commit sub-transactions less frequently.  1000, the
> > > default, is probably two low but since this is the first version of Zope
> > > with a catalog in it, it's not gotten any real world use.  We'll
> > > probably jack it up to at least 10,000 for 2.1.
> >
> > you are right, I'm findingdocs into the zcatalogue, not searching it (yet).
>
> Did increasing the threshold help?

Well, I upped it to 10000, and also converted all the docs to ZClasses, and
index specific properties instead of a html body.

The down side is it now takes 40 minutes to generate 8800 items (I've still got
to optimise this, I'm sure it can be improved), but the finding into the
ZCatalogue is not great -3 minutes, with indexing taking another 4 minutes.

I've noticed one 'feature' - whing a basic ZSearch, I have a text indexed
'name' field (tha name of a book, FWIW), when I search (for 'computer', for
example) I only get the search word back here, not the whole name, is this a
bug or a feature? I've not looked closely yet, so it can quite probably be
fixed..

Stuart Woolford, stuartw@newmail.net
Unix Consultant.
Software Developer.