[Zope] How do I use Zope for XML-RPC?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:58:22 -0400

Loren Stafford wrote:

> I'd like to use XML-RPC to communicate between a Zope on Sun/Solaris and a
> Zope on Win NT. I thought I read somewhere that Zope supports XML-RPC, but I
> can't see how it is done.

Just call a Zope system with an XML-RPC lib.  Check out
http://linux.userland.com/

> Does Zope support XML-RPC out of box, or is some assembly required?

Out of the box.

> Does Zope ORB parse XML-RPC requests/responses? How does it know it's
> getting XML-RPC? By the Content-Type?

Yes and Yes.

> Is there any support in Zope for a method to create XML-RPC requests and

Requests can be made from an external method or python product using the
xmlrpc module written by Fredrik Lundh.  I belive it can be found at
http://www.pythonware.com.  Look for downloads.

If you're communicating between Zopes, it would probably be faster and
simpler to use ZPublisher.Client, a Zope native HTTP RPC mechanism that
is Zope specific.

It is not documented, and seldom used except by the gurus.  There is
some documentation in lib/python/ZPublisher/Client.py

-Michel