[Zope] Rich client side questions

Theodore Patrick tpatrick@IndigoNetworks.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:28:56 -0500

We have been doing some work with Zope as a data exchange server via HTTP.
We are using it to broker data to/from an Oracle database,
we chose this method over other protocols simply because of Firewall
issues(nobody blocks HTTP-Port80).

As Java can perform HTTP get() and post() requests both embedded in a web
page and as a Fat Client(no-browser), It seems relatively straight forward
to enable the client to exchange data anywhere on the internet.

Actually we have been working with Macromedia Flash on the Client side.
Version 4 of Flash allows you to Set Variables via Get and Post requests. It
is a relatively simple operation and is quite painless.

Look into XML/RPC!

You could have your client format an HTTP request as XML and perform
functions so that only necessary data goes over the wire. Resulting data
sets can come back as XML as Java can parse an XML Document/Data Set.

Setting up the Zope to do this is easy!

Enjoy,

Theodore E. Patrick

http://www.ishophere.com - Where do you shop?