[Zope] Docs update

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:32:57 -0400

Oops -- pulled the trigger too soon...  Here's a more complete
version....  Sorry for the double-tap.

---------------------------------
Hello everyone:

Just wanted to give everyone an update on our documentation effort.
First, I am pleasantly flabbergasted at the number, variety and depth of
the How-Tos contributed by the community!  It's clear that the new Zope
site (specifically, Member self-publishing) will go a long way toward
helping the documentation effort.

The past several weeks have certainly been busy.  In the middle of
everything else, we've been working on documentation.  Specifically, the
New and Improved DTML User Reference is online:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation

This is a part of the "core documentation overhaul" on which we're
working.  Unfortunately, we are a little behind on this effort
(originally forecast for release 9/15/1999).  We (obviously) didn't make
that milestone.  However, I have it from reliable sources that we should
have the remaining (promised) documents published no later Friday (with
some making earlier debuts).

Remember that (for now at least :^), we've defined the core docs (and
'revised' projected availability) are:

o  Zope Administrator's Guide: 9/25
o  Zope Content Manager's Guide: 9/22
o  Zope Content Manager's Reference: TBD
o  DTML User Guide: TBD
o  DTML User Reference: Complete
o  ZSQL Guide: 9/23
o  ZSQL Reference: TBD

Where "Reference" documents are, well, references, and "Guide" documents
have a more tutorial flavor.

Additionally, we've also been writing a few of How-Tos:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jshell/ZSQLMethods-InsertingData
http://www.zope.org/Members/jshell/ZSQLMethods-CreatingTables
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/ExternalMethods
http://www.zope.org/Members/Pam/DTMLScripting
http://www.zope.org/Members/Pam/ChangePorts
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/DTMLMethodsandDocsHowTo
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/ZODB-How-To
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/ApacheRewriting
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/LetTagHow-To
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/WithTagHow-To
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/NameSpaceHow-To

with more on the way! (e.g., How To Write a DA in 45,672 easy steps :^)

Regards,
--Rob

--
Rob Page                 V: 540.371.6909
                         F: 703.995.0412