[Zope] Changing Contexts (Was: [Zope] Acquisition? Did I just lose my Zen?)

Paulo Eduardo Neves neves@email.com
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:52:39 -0300

I gave some examples and Michel Pelletier wrote:

> One thing I'd like to point out here, is that you are getting into
> something very, very deep.  This discussion has gone pretty far, but I
> still dont get it.

I also think it is complex. So complex that I initially had a
misconception about how acquisition works. I was glad to see that I was
not the only one:-)

> What I want to see is a very, very trivial example
> of what you want to do, and why you can't do it now.  There may be
> another solution.

I think I won't be able to give you a very trivial example. Zope is so
powerful that it can handle all trivial examples I can think. Trivial
things like the /print folder for a printable page can be handled other
ways like the ?pp=1 argument to get printable pages in Zope.org. I
believe a /print folder would be more elegant, but is just a matter of
taste. No need to modify Zope:-)

I was really thinking about a structure to build multi-lingual sites.
I'll try to sketch an example.

Suppose you have the following objects in your root folder:

myContents
/folder
	mySQLMethod	<= these are contained in /folder
	index_html
/portuguese
	myContents

The root folder also has a string property LG="en". It has a folder
named /portuguese that has a string property LG="pt", and a myContents
document which text is written in portuguese.

Suppose index_html has all the page formatting and it also includes
myContents and use the results of the query mySQLMethod. mySQLMethod
would query a database table that has two contents fields, let's call
them "content_en" and "content_pt". This is a possible implementation:

SELECT content_id, date, <dtml-var "'content_' + LG"> as content
FROM Table

If acquisition worked according to Martjin, calling /folder would show
an english version of the site, and /portuguese/folder would give an
portuguese version.

Is it reasonable? It would be a nice way to approach the hard problem of
multi-lingual dynamic sites.

> The next point is that we will soon be modeling this.
> Acquisition needs to be modeled, then we can truely get what's going on
> here.

Great! Zope documentation are really improving a lot. Each time there is
less excuses for not use Zope.

>  In the meantime, let's hear some simplification of this problem,
> I'm still lost on what we're talking about.

Hope this helped.

best regards,
--
Paulo Eduardo Neves