[Zope] setting up a site find utility in Zope

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:50:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark K. Smith <mark@sourcegear.com>
To: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Thursday, September 23, 1999 10:37 AM
Subject: [Zope] setting up a site find utility in Zope

>I'm very new to Zope (on my 3rd day) and am trying to set up a web site
find
>utility (similar to the one in the upper right hand corner of the zope.org
>site). I've searched the site and the mailing list archives but cannot find
>a place to start. Can someone point me where to start, or better yet,
>provide me with an example method for a site search?

Zope.org makes heavy use of ZCatalog. A good starting point will be the
ZCatalog tutorial
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To/ZCatalogTutorial

The general idea is something like this:

1) Set up a catalog for the site
2) Use the "Find" feature to load objects into the catalog (unless you have
created your own "CatalogAware" objects... that's a bit more advanced, but
not too difficult once you've played around with it some more).
3) Create a "Z Search Interface". This lets you create a search form and
report in one step.

The ZCatalog Tutorial has some example search code as well.

>Aside: It would be great to see all of the methods for the zope.org site,
>are these available? I know you can see the DTML source, but I would like
>see what's behind
>   <!--#var standard_html_header-->
>   <!--#var standard_html_footer-->
>   etc...

If you look at the URL when you click the DTML Source link, that gives you
an idea what to do... Try going to
http://www.zope.org/standard_html_header/view_source

Kevin