[Zope] Zope.org Z Classes (was: contributed zclass)

Joshua Brauer joshua@brauer.org
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:33:13 -0600

At 10:54 AM -0400 9/23/99, Mike Pelletier wrote:
>[...]
>    On Zope.org, all content (okay, almost all, but forget about that for
>the moment) is owned by a Member, who is responsible for it.  The content
>is all contained in the folder of the Member who owns it.  That means the
>location is irrelevant to the content-- all our HowTos for instance are
>scattered willy-nilly throughout our much-appreciated Member's folders,
>not unlike your author's folders.
>
>    When you go to /Documentation/How-To, you are shown a list of all the
>HowTos members have submitted to the Catalog.  These HowTos are all still
>'physically' located in each of the Membership folders.  The Z Catalog
>allows us to present them all in one place, simply by asking the Z Catalog
>for everything who's meta_type is HowTo.  You could do the same thing for
>magazine issues:  Add an 'issue' property to your article objects, and
>then add a 'FieldIndex' index called 'issue' to your Z Catalog.
>
>    Once you have that, you can build a simple Issue object that knows how
>to ask the Z Catalog for all objects belonging to a given issue, and
>present them in a nice periodical format.  It could even be smart enough
>to translate the paths you want to use (like my.zine.com/issues/01/02)
>into a search for items belonging to issue 01, volume 02, or what have
>you.
>
>    Hope that sheds a shaft of illumination for you.

There are lights going off all over. I'm currently re-thinking some of the structures for several Z-classes I'm working on. What I'm curious about is how easily you can change ownership of a class to enable it to move around. (in the case of the example is there an easy to transfer a How-To from one person to another when the first goes on an extended vacation for example?)

Josh

                                    # # #

Joshua Brauer                                         Box 915
http://www.brauer.org                          Fort Collins, CO 80522
Fax: (419) 793-4120
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
          -- Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900