[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 1: wysiwig editing wysiwig editing

jonathon jblake@stamp-coin.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:35:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:

>At 03:50 23/09/99 , Dody Gunawinata wrote:
>>I think "DOCUMENTATION" is more than anything else, the greatest barrier
>>to people using Zope.
	<< paragraphs deleted >>
>>Much of the documentation is designed with *advance* developers in mind.
>>It's time for Zope for Dummies.

>What many people forget here is that Zope is a Web Application Platform. It
>is, first and foremost, designed as a framework for applications.

	That doesn't negate the need for Documentation.

>marshalling of variable types and RDBMS integration, Zope makes one heck of
>a Web Application Platform.

	True.  To use a Web Application Platform, one has to know the tools.
	The easy way to find out what those tools are, and how to use them,
	is by going through the documentation.

>Zope was designed for Web Application Developers, not designers. The
>documentation follows this design. I actually feel that dummies should stay

	If one is an experienced Web Application Developer, the
	documentation _might_ be, but probably isn't acceptable.

	If one is supposed to manage the content on a website, and
	not an experienced Web Application developer, the documentation
	is at best, inadequate.

>away from Zope. Frontpage is for dummies.

	What has Frontpage to do with Zope?  They are completely different
	applications.

	One other point:
		Documentation can never contain too many examples.

	xan

	jonathon