[Zope] ZCatalog vs. external database ...

Kaleissin taliesin@nvg.org
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:19:30 +0200

* Kevin Dangoor (kid@kendermedia.com) [990923 21:51]:
> Darran said:
> >
> >We need to add an academic publications database to our
> >budding Zope site.  A couple of newbie questions:
> >
> >1) Is creating a "Publication" ZClass and then using ZCatalog
> >   a viable option?
> >
> >or
> >
> >2) Is the GadFly Product okay for a smallish 1000-2000
> >   record database?  The Add page makes a comment about
> >   Gadfly operations being done in memory - does this mean
> >   that the database is not persisent in the Zope DB?
>
> Personally, I'm fond of the ZClass/ZCatalog route. I just like having
> everything in the ZODB, and the ability to manipulate everything in Zopish
> sorts of ways. Sure, I like SQL, too... But, Zope is more fun!
>
> I haven't run into any problems with ZClass/ZCatalog managing about 1500
> objects. Nothing leads me to believe things will be problematic as we add
> more.

How about 120 000 objects, increasing with about 10 000 all new ones per year?

I'd like to do it all in ZODB too, especially since building the retrieval-
system all ala Zope will be much closer to a breeze than having to do it all
by hand.

tal.