[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 1: wysiwig editing wysiwig editing

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:50:54 -0400

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:41:29AM +1000, Jay, Dylan wrote:
> I disagree. I believe the ideal place Zope could end up is as being
> something that was as simple to use as frontpage and as powerful as ... well
> as it already is. I'm not saying that the "simpler" users should be able to
> as powerfull things as "programmer" type users can but it should not be
> unaccessable to them. They should be able to edit and add basic documents. I
> don't want to be the only one who does all the editing of documents with
> zope.

Well, you needn't be.  The pointof Zope -- from my view -- is that it
makes it easy for me, as a designer, for me to make it easy for you, as
a site manager to get your work done.

The _question_ here is, _how easy_ does it make _my_ part of that job;
and yeah, I think it could be a bit easier for me to grasp.  Much of
that is the current lack of documentation -- I'm waiting for Zope for
Dummies :-) -- the remainder is the lack of _medium_ level pre-built
infrastructure for me to build on and modify to get my work done.

That Zop allows me to break out into the low level stuff (DTML, ZSQL,
and even external methods) is fantastic -- and a requirement -- but
there is currently still quite a bit of mid-level work that a potentisl
site develope, like me, needs to do -- and that therefore, will be
getting done more than once.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592